Estimated organization of Ukrainian 14th Mechanized Brigade as of September 2023.
The 14th Mechanized Brigade is one of the more skilled units of the Ukrainian Ground Forces, known for the defense of Makariv at the beginning of the full-scale invasion, essential in preventing the encirclement of Kyiv from the west. In the past months, it has been near-constantly deployed on the Kupyansk-Svatove axis.
The main fighting body of the Brigade is composed by its three Mechanized Battalions
The 1st Motorized Battalion Volyn joined the Brigade at some point in 2015. Its current equipment and vehicles are unknown.
- Humvees have been seen on the Brigade’s socials, potentially (but uncertainly) used by Volyn Battalion.
The Brigade’s Artillery Group, composed of four battalions, employs:
- One Battalion of standard 2S1 Gvozdikas (122mm) as the smaller caliber SPHs
- One Battalion of UK-donated M109A4BE (155mm) howitzers replacing the standard 2S3s as larger caliber guns
- The MLRS Battalion is equipped with BM-21 Grad MLRS.
- The Anti-Tank Artillery Battalion apparently fields a wide variety of ATGM systems, including domestic Stugna-Ps, donated FGM-148 Javelins, 9M113 Konkurs and MT-12 Rapira guns.
The Anti-Aircraft Defense Battalion has been seen in action with 9K35 Strela-10 systems. 2K22 Tunguska hasn’t been seen since February 2022 and was possibly passed to a different unit.
Visit unit’s page of 14th Mechanized Brigade on our site to learn more about the unit.