The summary of the situation of Russian re-invasion to Ukraine covering the last 48 hours, as of 23rd October 2022 – 22:00 (Kyiv time).
The situation remained stable during the last 48 hours (and the last week, to be fair). The Ukrainian Army regroups its forces and prepares for the next push, while the Territorial Defense Units and National Guard continue to clean up the liberated areas and build fortifications.
Occupation authorities announced evacuation of civilians from the western bank of Kherson Oblast. There are fears that Russians might blow up Kakhovka dam or stage a different provocation in Kherson.
includes the area of between Oskil and Aydar river
- Ukrainian General Staff reported shelling of its positions in the vicinity of Karmazynivka settlement, confirming Russian forces withdrew behind the Zherebets river in this area.
includes the vicinity of Bakhmut
- Fighting remains active in Bakhmutske and Soledar. Neither side reported new gains or losses.
- Ukrainian defenders repelled a Russian attack towards Bakhmut and Ivanhrad.
- According to multiple sources, Ukrainians conducted a several localized counter-attacks in the area of Bakhmut and possibly recaptured some lost positions. However, as there is no visual proof, we have to wait for confirmation.
- The enemy attempted to break through the defensive line towards Klishchiivka and in the vicinity of Odradivka. All attacks were successfully repelled.
- Russian forces attempted to advance towards Ozaryanivka, but have no success.
Note: While I was ill, Russian forces managed to capture Zaitseve (the southern one). Ukrainian forces withdrew to fortified positions in the vicinity.
overview map of Slovyansk, Kramatorsk, Bakhmut and Lysychansk vicinity
- Ukrainian forces liberated Zolotarivka in Luhansk Oblast.
- The enemy attempted to regain lost positions in Zolotarivka and also tried to advance in the direction of nearby Bilohorivka settlement. They did not succeed and retreated.
includes the center and southern part of Donetsk Oblast
- Russian forces tried to advance towards Avdiivka, but the attack was repulsed.
- The enemy attempted to seize new positions in the area of Nevelske and Pervomaiske, but with no luck and retreated to original positions.
- Russian troops increased its activity in Marinka, gathering all its forces in the area to capture the town. Ukrainian defense lines are holding.
- Another attack towards Novomykhailivka settlement was repelled by Ukrainian defenders.
includes the Zaporizhzhia Oblast
- No change on the ground during the past 48 hours.
includes the vicinity of Kherson and Mykolaiv
- The occupation authorities announced evacuation of all civilian population across the Dnipro river amid reports of possible Russian withdrawal from this area as well.
The full overview map of current situation.
Looking for an interactive map? We got you covered. Visit our original Deployment map.
If you would like to use our maps in your project, video or any other media, please visit Invasion maps page for more information.
This summary and detailed maps are based on the following sources:
General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, official media channels of Ukrainian regional administrations, Ukrainian Ministry of Internal Affairs, Security Service of Ukraine (SBU), geolocated footage and press releases of Russian Armed Forces, self-proclaimed DPR and LPR.
Thank you for all amazing work, we’re glad that you are well again, your maps ans updates are the best!
Hello! I’m a Japanese journalist.
How do I best introduce you, Jerome, and your colleagues?
A private think tank? A private research group? Or else?
Please le me know?
Open-source intelligence [OSINT] volunteers.
Ben Hodges: The russian military wants to be the second strongest in the world, but right now it is just the second strongest in ukraine.
Thanks for your work & dedication. This is one of my favourite sources and probably the most accurate one.
Is the map from the Kherson front updated ? I saw some tweets from pro-russian bloggers saying that there were fights and counter offensive launched in the Milove sector …
All I heard are just rumors, without any visual proof to back them up.
Maybe it was only clashes against UKR recon teams sent to scout Milove sector…
It actually very much may be correct, but the Ukrainian control of information is very good and we know really a little exact about what’s going on now.
I wish you good health Jerome! Thanks for your summary! I lot of people from Czech Republic regularly follows your day summary 🙂
It’s great to see a summary from you again! I hope that you have fully recovered or will do so soon! 🙂