The summary of the 178th day of Russian invasion to Ukraine, as of 22:00 – 20th August 2022 (Kyiv time).
Russian army intensified the attacks in Donbas and launched an offensive north of Slovyansk, but neither attack achieved a meaningful result. The need for more soldiers on the ground is apparent. It’s clear that artillery and air superiority isn’t enough to win this war.
Meanwhile, Ukrainian Army continues to strike ammunition depots behind the lines and also is probing the air-defense systems located on Crimea.
We have an important wee ahead. Ukraine celebrates its independence on August 24, and Russia will likely try to dishonor this day as much as possible.
includes the area of Kharkiv and Chuhuiv
Kharkiv & Chuhuiv direction
- The enemy tried to improve its positions near Pytomnyk. Ukrainian defenders forced the enemy to withdraw.
- Russian troops attacked Ukrainian positions at Broshchova. The enemy retreated after a small skirmish.
- Ongoing clashes are reported from Lebyazhe and Bazaliivka.
includes the vicinity of Bakhmut
- Fighting continues in Soldear and Bakhmutske. The enemy is advancing from two directions – Stryapivka and Pokrovske.
- Russian forces attempted to advance closer to Bakhmut from Pokrovske and Klynove. The battle is ongoing.
- Ukrainian troops repelled Russian attacks towards Kodema from four directions – Vershyna, Semyhirya, Travneve and Hladosove.
- Russian assaults towards Zaitseve (near Bakhmut) from the direction of Vershyna and Semyhirya were repulsed.
- The enemy attacked Ukrainian positions in the vicinity of Zaitseve (near Horlivka), but without success, he withdrew.
- Russian troops assaulted the Ukrainian checkpoint at Mayorsk. They did not succeed.
includes the vicinity of Slovyansk and Kramatorsk
- Russian army launched an offensive operation north of Slovyansk. The breakthrough attempt towards Virnopilla, Nova Dmytrivka, Dibrivne, Kurulka and Dolyna settlements wasn’t successful.
- The enemy tried to advance towards Vyimka and Ivano-Daryivka from the direction of Spirne and Mykolaivka. The enemy was met with accurate artillery fire and had to retreat.
overview map of Slovyansk, Kramatorsk, Bakhmut and Lysychansk vicinity
- Ukrainian troops repulsed a Russian attack towards Karnaukhivka from the area of Barabashivka.
includes the center and southern part of Donetsk Oblast
- Clashes continue in the vicinity of Opytne (next to Vodyane). The situation remain complicated.
- Russian troops attacked Ukrainian positions in the vicinity of Pisky. The defenders didn’t allow Russian troops to move further.
- Russian forces attempted to advance towards Pervomaiske, but without success, and retreated to the original positions.
- Ukrainian defenders repelled Russian attack towards Zolota Nyva from the direction of Blahodatne.
includes the Zaporizhzhia Oblast
- No change on the ground.
includes the vicinity of Kherson and Mykolaiv
- Ukrainian troops repelled a Russian assault towards Blahodatne from the area of Vasylka.
Ukrainian side announced a strict embargo on all information regarding Kherson Oblast and advance of Ukrainian troops. The only allowed source for this area are the reports by Ukrainian General Staff.
The full overview map of current situation.
Looking for an interactive map? We got you covered. Visit our original Deployment map.
If you would like to use our maps in your project, video or any other media, please visit Invasion maps page for more information.
This summary and detailed maps are based on the following sources:
General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, official media channels of Ukrainian regional administrations, Ukrainian Ministry of Internal Affairs, Security Service of Ukraine (SBU), geolocated footage and press releases of Russian Armed Forces, self-proclaimed DPR and LPR