The summary of the 174th day of Russian invasion to Ukraine, as of 22:00 – 16th August 2022 (Kyiv time).
Russian forces intensified the attacks on Donetsk front and tried to advance in multiple directions. Ukrainian defenders repelled most of these attacks, but the enemy had success in some areas and managed to improve its positions.
A Russian ammunition depot exploded in occupied Crimea. Ukrainian Special Forces seems to be responsible for the act.
includes the area of Kharkiv and Chuhuiv
Kharkiv & Chuhuiv direction
- Ukrainian defenders repelled a Russian attack towards Udy north of Kharkiv.
includes the vicinity of Bakhmut
- House to house fighting continues in Soledar.
- Russian troops attacked Ukrainian positions at Bakhmutske from two directions – Volodymyrivka and Pokrovske. Ukrainian forces repelled both attacks, but the situation continues to be uncertain.
- The enemy tried to advance towards Kodema and Vershyna from the direction of Semyhirya and nearby powerplant, without success.
- Ukrainian troops repelled a Russian attack towards Zalizne from the direction of Horlivka.
includes the vicinity of Slovyansk and Kramatorsk
- Ukrainian forces repulsed a Russian attack towards Mazanivka from the direction of Dovhenke.
- The enemy tried to improve its positions and advance in the vicinity of Dolyna. Ukrainian defenders caught this attempt.
- Russian forces continue to attack Ukrainian positions in the area of Ivano-Darivka and towards Vyimka, but so far without success.
- The enemy also attempted to breakthrough Ukrainian lines towards Vesele. Fighting continues.
overview map of Slovyansk, Kramatorsk, Bakhmut and Lysychansk vicinity
includes the center and southern part of Donetsk Oblast
- The enemy tried to improve its positions and advance towards Nevelske and Pervomaiske. The attackers did not succeed, but the attack towards Pervomaiske, indicating a bad situation in Pisky.
- However, we still cannot confirm that Russian forces fully captured Pisky. The settlement remains marked as contested until we get a clear visual confirmation.
- Russian forces attacked Ukrainian positions near Novomykhailivka from two sides – Slavne and Solodke. The enemy was able to advance closer to the settlement, fighting continues.
- Russian troops attempted to capture Ukrainian positions north of Volodymyrivka from the direction of Solodke, and also tried to advance towards Vodyane from the direction of the mentioned settlement. Both attacks were repelled.
- The defenders repelled yet another attack towards Pavlivka.
- Ukrainian troops discovered and forced to retreat a Russian reconnaissance group in the vicinity of Vremivka.
Correction: Ukrainian General Staff reported Solodke settlement as Russian controlled. It’s unclear if Russian forces recently re-captured the settlement or the information about the liberation on July 21st was incorrect.
includes the Zaporizhzhia Oblast
- No change on the ground.
includes the vicinity of Kherson and Mykolaiv
- Russian forces attempted to advance from the direction of Zeleny Hai to Novohryhorivka. The attack was repelled.
Ukrainian side announced a strict embargo on all information regarding Kherson Oblast and advance of Ukrainian troops. The only allowed source for this area are the reports by Ukrainian General Staff.
The full overview map of current situation.
Looking for an interactive map? We got you covered. Visit our original Deployment map.
If you would like to use our maps in your project, video or any other media, please visit Invasion maps page for more information.
This summary and detailed maps are based on the following sources:
General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, official media channels of Ukrainian regional administrations, Ukrainian Ministry of Internal Affairs, Security Service of Ukraine (SBU), geolocated footage and press releases of Russian Armed Forces, self-proclaimed DPR and LPR