The summary of the 166th day of Russian invasion to Ukraine, as of 22:00 – 8th August 2022 (Kyiv time).
Ukrainian forces successfully repelling Russian attacks across the frontline and are able to hit Russian warehouses behind the lines. The situation is far from perfect, but also it’s not a roll coaster for Ukraine. The most critical situation remains Bakhmut, where the enemy is approaching the outskirts. Apart from that, gone are the days when Russian tried to capture regional capitals. We are now witnessing fierce battles for small settlements at the 2015 contact line, with minor gains by Russian forces each day.
includes the area of Kharkiv and Chuhuiv
Kharkiv & Chuhuiv direction
- No changes on the ground in the vicinity of Kharkiv.
includes the vicinity of Bakhmut
- Russian forces attacked Ukrainian positions at Yakovlivka, the attack was repelled.
- Fighting continues east of Bakhmut, where the enemy is trying to break through Ukrainian lines and reach the outskirts.
- Ukrainian favorable positions on the high ground near Vershyna don’t allow Russian troops to fully capture the settlement. Despite that, Russian command continues to send its troops there.
- Russian forces attempted to bypass the defenders stationed at Kodema and Vershyna and push through fields directly towards Zaitseve from the direction of Semihirya. Russians didn’t gain any new ground by this attempt.
- The enemy attacked Ukrainian positions in the vicinity of Kodema from two sides – Novoluhanske and Travneve. Russian troops were unable to advance and retreated to the original positions.
includes the vicinity of Slovyansk and Kramatorsk
- Russian recon element attacked Ukrainians near Virnopillya. After a minor skirmish, the enemy retreated.
- Russian troops tried to improve its positions in the area of Bohorodychne and Dolyna. Ukrainian forces denied the attempt.
- The enemy tried to advance in the vicinity of Verkhnokamyanske, but without success.
- Russian recon element attempted to seize Ukrainian forwarded positions near Bilohorivka. The attack was repulsed.
overview map of Slovyansk, Kramatorsk, Bakhmut and Lysychansk vicinity
includes the center and southern part of Donetsk Oblast
- Russian forces attacked Ukrainian positions in the vicinity of Krasnohorivka (north of Avdiivka).
- The enemy attempted to advance towards Avdiivka from the direction of Spartak. The enemy is unable to advance beyond the M-30 highway.
- Fierce fighting continues in Marinka and Pisky.
- Ukrainian troops repelled a Russian attack towards Shevchenko.
includes the Zaporizhzhia Oblast
- No change on the ground.
includes the vicinity of Kherson and Mykolaiv
- Russian army tried to develop an offensive operation in the area of Blahodatne. Ukrainian forces discovered and foiled the attempt.
Ukrainian side announced a strict embargo on all information regarding Kherson Oblast and advance of Ukrainian troops. The only allowed source for this area are the reports by Ukrainian General Staff.
The full overview map of current situation.
Looking for an interactive map? We got you covered. Visit our original Deployment map.
If you would like to use our maps in your project, video or any other media, please visit Invasion maps page for more information.
This summary and detailed maps are based on the following sources:
General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, official media channels of Ukrainian regional administrations, Ukrainian Ministry of Internal Affairs, Security Service of Ukraine (SBU), geolocated footage and press releases of Russian Armed Forces, self-proclaimed DPR and LPR