Operation reports are summary of what happened in Joint forces operation zone (previously known as Anti-Terrorist Operation zone or ATO) during the last week. The report includes information about combat activity, casualties, and other military related stuff.
Sporadic shelling and firefights were reported from the following places:
- Donetsk area
- Mariupol area
August 20, 2018
- Kremez Oleh (Azov Regiment) a senior medic, served since 2015. He died tragically near Yurievka during an attempt to save a civilian from drowning.
August 21, 2018
- Burmych Anatoliy (72nd Mechanized Brigade) a commander of 8th Mechanized Company, 3rd Battalion. He died when returning from a duty, nothing else is specified. The 72nd Mechanized Brigade serves near Svitlodarks.
August 23, 2018
- Olʹkhovsʹkyy Heorhiy (128th Mountain Brigade) a commander of a company in 15th Battalion. He was killed by artillery attack on Ukrainian positions.
- Nayda Mar’yan (Aydar Battalion) a senior soldier, formed member fo Donbas battalion, served since 2015. See Novotoshkivs’ke assault below for more information.
- Protsenko Taras (Aydar Battalion) a regular soldier, served since 2015. See Novotoshkivs’ke assault below for more information.
- Shcherbanyuk Mykhaylo (Aydar Battalion) a senior soldier. See Novotoshkivs’ke assault below for more information.
- Chyrva Andriy (Aydar Battalion) a senior soldier, served since 2015. See Novotoshkivs’ke assault below for more information.
Nechytaylo Vasylʹ (28th Mechanized Brigade) a sergeant. He died during a patrol mission in a city of Krasnohorivka.
August 24, 2018
D’yakonov Stanislav (15th Motorized Battalion) a regular soldier, served since 2015. He was killed by a sniper near Pivdenne, Donetsk Region.
Shumy village liberated
Ukrainian Forces, namely parts of 24th Mechanized Brigade, liberated a small settlement Shumy on August 20, 2018. Shumy is located near Horlivka in so-called “gray zone.” The settlement was under fire control of Ukrainian forces for a long time.
On August 23, separatist forces attempted to seize Ukrainian fortified positions near Krymske. During the assault, that lasted four hours, Ukrainian forces lost four soldiers and another seven were wounded. The attack was repulsed with help of reserve forces, including APCs.
27th Independence Day
August 24th marked 27 years since its independence declared in 1991. The day was celebrated with a military parade held in Kyiv, as usual.