Ukraine has been asking the US for lethal support since the begging of the conflict with Russia in 2014. However, US provided only non-lethal support until the last week. US approved the sale of 210 anti-tank Javelin missiles along with 37 launch units to Ukraine for $47 millions. The training of Ukrainian soldiers has already begun. The weapons will probably be delivered to Ukraine around April, according to several US officials. Which Ukrainian unit will receive the weapons is currently unknown but our bets are on 95th Airborne brigade. The unit received several T-80BVs last year and is considered as best fighting force in Ukrainian Armed Forces.
Negative reactions caused an action of law forces as they demolished a protestors camp near Verkhovna rada. The camp was set up back in October and protesters demanded resignation or president of Ukraine, Mr. Poroshenko because of corruption. The protestors were also supported by ex-Georgian president Mr. Saakashvili. We are not going to investigate who is to blame or the background but instead, we will provide you information about sides involved in this conflict.
- Special forces of National Police (Kyiv branch) – formed in 2015. Some of them were seen fully armed, including AK rifles.
- First Presidential Brigade of National Guard – reformed Bars unit of Internal Troops. They participated against EuroMaidan protestors as well as served in the ATO zone. You can read more about them in the history of Kulchitskyi Battalion.
- Unknown unit of National Guard – at least one more unit of National Guard participated against the protestors.
- Liberty movement – formed from volunteers all of Ukraine including Donbas, Aidar battalion and some Right Sector members as well
- Members of Donbas Battalion, including Mr. Semenchenko
Ternopil company’s page has been added to our site. The page contains unit’s history, equipment, uniforms and warpath.
Ternopil company is a volunteer unit established in 2014. The unit was tasked to protect public order in towns alongside frontline and was never sent directly to combat. You can learn more Ternopil company on their page.
President of Ukraine, Mr. Poroshenko, signed law that officially ends anti-terrorist operation, known widely in public as ATO. The law was signed on February 20, 2018 and renames the conflict as “taking measures to ensure national security and defense, and repulsing and deterring the armed aggression of the Russian Federation in Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts.” The most important change is the fact that Armed Forces of Ukraine are now in charge of all military and law enforcement units in Donbas. The ATO was run by SBU security service.
Summary of what has changed:
- Russia is declared as an aggressor that occupies part of Ukraine
- Martial law is no longer needed to deploy Armed Forces to Donbas
- Approves checkpoints alongside contact line and allows movement of civilians and goods
- Military Joint Operative Headquarters will be setup for occupied areas
Kherson company’s page has been added to our site. The page contains unit’s history, equipment, uniforms and warpath.
Kherson company is a volunteer unit established in 2014. The unit fought in Illovaysk and actively participated against protestors on Crimea border. You can learn more Kherson company on their page.